Saturday 25 January 2014


                                                    Dumisani's art profile


Dumisani Mngonyama, Portrait, 2009, acrylic on canvas

My name is Dumisani Mngonyama better known as Ernest I am 29 years old male who grew up in the rual KwaMachi off the coast of Port Shepstone in the southern region of KwaZulu- Natal now known as UMUZIWABANTU. I did my primary education at Phumza Primary School and matriculated at Mbusi High School at KwaMachi. Being the youngest at home raised by single mother things was very tough. Without proper home support, the education system in our rural area didn’t make it better for me. It has not provided me with any useful artistic knowledge especially since I was from a young age passionate and very active with my art.
Some of personal motivation came from the help I gave to schools using my limited knowledge. Within an education system that did not cater for the artistic children, I could not pursue the love of art. I then took science studies and passed my matriculation without any art-related subjects. That never changed the artist in me, as it has only made me hungrier for the visual art even though things have been tough at home, I have not lost hope.
I came to Durban looking for better art related educational opportunities that’s how I ended up enrolled at the BAT centre in a nine month called the Art and Culture Skills Development Programme and one year at Durban University of Technology. I have been trained in CERAMICS ,TEXTILE DESIGN, PAINTINGS, PRINT MAKING and SCULPTURE.
My work in painting and textile design has been however exceptionally good and this simple means that I WAS BORN TO BE ARTIST who now running a private company called RED EYE art and design.
My aim in art in supporting the upliftment of the art is to make ignorance people aware that it is life. Having done this BAT art course, it only makes sense to me that I can say I’m at the tip of the iceberg and I’ll have professional career as an artist who is a businessman not just your ordinary person, but an individual who is hungry for new challenges. I am passionate about working with young people sharing the information especially those people who come from similar disadvantaged communities like me. I want to make a difference in their lives in the smallest way I can.
Should you require more info on my work please don’t hesitate to contact me on the telephone number provided below.
 
Dumisani Mngonyam (076 732 5540) or Email: mngonyamadumisani@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment